Today (Saturday 21st April) is Record Store Day and across the capital, independently owned record stores are coming together to celebrate the art of music, host performances and special appearances and even sell or give away special one-off releases. A must for any vinyl lover.
Speaking of vinyl lovers, some of the staff at BWI Self Storage, are avid collectors themselves and being part of the storage industry know just how important it is to store and protect records in order to keep them in the best condition possible.
- The first step is to clean your album cover – wipe it with a dry microfibre cloth to remove any dust.
- Also remove any dust from the inside of the inner sleeve, which you may wish to replace completely.
- 12″ outer sleeves is probably the best investment you can make to protect your records, as they will protect them for years. The thicker the better.
- Store the record inside the inner sleeve but not in the album cover to avoid seam split and reduce ring wear.
- To clean the actual records, use an anti-static carbon fibre brush, being careful not to touch the black vinyl areas.
- Finally, store the records in an up-right position and not too tight together. An Ikea EXPEDIT shelving unit may be ideal, but remember to check the measures.
- If you don’t play the records often, store them in closed carton boxes in a dry storage room.
To find out a full list of events, visit the official Record Store Day website.
If you have no room left in your home for any more records but can’t bear to let them go or are simply looking to store them for short while, BWI Self Storage in South Woodford offers a clean, dry and affordable space which may be the ideal solution. Whether it’s just a few boxes, or a collection that could house a room, we have a unit size to suit you. To find out more, give us a call or visit us instore, we’re open seven days a week.
We hope you have a fun and fruitful Record Store Day!